Subject: Re: sendmail install from - no
To: George Michaelson <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 10:30:12
>I did (cd /usr/src; ./ -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
>current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
>/etc/mail/ was for v9.

did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
always helps a lot.

>so I did manual stuff to upgrade (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;
>make && make install) and it writes to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/

that's correct behavior.  a "make install" will not install files into
/etc, since that has a high probability of overwriting files you are
expected to be able to modify freely.

have you modified your /etc/mail/ file at all, or did you
simply use the one that was originally installed?

>hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
>created the and cf from the've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?

there are two sample type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf: and  if you don't see them there, cd to that
directory and make them (ie type "make" or "make").  copy one to /etc/mail/

>etcupdate didn't complain either.

hmm...never tried that.