Subject: Re: Wrong permissions?
To: Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi>
From: Michael Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2003 09:07:32

On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 04:44AM, Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi> wrote:

>> indeed.  i don't know for sure, but i am suspecting that the -U is
>> what's fouling things up for you when things are installed.  try
>> again, as root, but without that flag?
>>

>From /usr/src/BUILDING:
>
>     3.   # ./build.sh -U -D /path/to/destdir install=/
>
>          As root, install to / the distribution that was built by example 2.
>          Even though this is run as root, -U is required so that the permis-
>          sions stored in /path/to/destdir/METALOG are correctly applied to
>          the files as they're copied to /.
>

>I do my builds with following commands:
>
>   ./build.sh -M/usr/obj -T/usr/tools -D/usr/NetBSD/dest -rU tools
>   ./build.sh -M/usr/obj -T/usr/tools -D/usr/NetBSD/dest -uU build
>   ./build.sh -M/usr/obj -T/usr/tools -D/usr/NetBSD/dest -uU kernel=TXPO
>   Install kernel with cp
>   ./build.sh -M/usr/obj -T/usr/tools -D/usr/NetBSD/dest -uU install=/

But the *very* important step that you're leaving out is that you must su(d0)
to root before the install. If you perform those steps in exactly the order that
you list, then you either (1) were root the whole time (making -U useless),
or (2) could not have done the proper install with permissions because you were
not root ever.

Mike