Subject: Re: How do I use tar --unlink?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: David Burren <david@burren.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2003 13:10:58
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:55:11 -0800, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> <tarball (cd /fs-root ; tar --unlink zxvpf -)
>
> But I haven't been able to find a place to put the --unlink option so
> it will actually work.  (Also I don't know where to put the -C option
> so I can do away with the chained cd command.)

Put a '-' before the 'zxvpf' so that tar knows it's an option and you
should be OK.  You can only get away without the '-' when there are no
seperate options due to a historical hangover from the original tar.

Actually, I probably would do it something like:

	tar -C /fs-root --unlink -xvzpf tarball
__
David Burren