Subject: How do I use tar --unlink?
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@mac.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2003 16:55:11
If you are manually installing a release then the proper way to do it
is something like:

<tarball (cd /fs-root ; tar --unlink zxvpf -)

But I haven't been able to find a place to put the --unlink option so
it will actually work.  (Also I don't know where to put the -C option
so I can do away with the chained cd command.)

However irrational the tar options are, I at least can remember them
when I need them, unlike pax, which probably has its own set of
quirks to learn.

I'm not subscribed to current-users, but I am to port-macppc.  Please
send replies to me personally as needed.