Subject: Re: cmos ram access?
To: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2003 13:06:04
Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de> writes:
> is there a way to access the CMOS ram on i386 platforms
> from NetBSD e.g. like /dev/nvram on LINUX? I try to find
> a way to program the "auto-poweron" (RTC alarm) function
> without having to use the BIOS. There is a project on
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvram-wakeup for doing
> this but it relys on /dev/nvram. But maybe there are
> other (better?) ways for this, e.g. ACPI?

ACPI does indeed provide a direct way of doing this.

However, it should be straightforward to build a /dev/nvram equivalent
if you wish to -- there isn't much that it needs to do. A lot of the
code you want is associated with the i386 cmos clock functions we
already have...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com