Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/2003 13:51:23
[ On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 at 14:40:41 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
>
> How does Greg (or others) reliably use LOCALBASE=/usr on NetBSD and keep
> track?

What do you mean by "keep track"?

I "reliably" use LOCALBASE=/usr because I've carefully tested every
package using LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg prior to building and again testing it
with LOCALBASE=/usr.  I've also enhanced my pkgsrc build infrastructure
to do some additional tests in the test environment to make sure a
package won't clobber any system files when it's rebuilt in the
production prototype environment.

--
								Greg A. Woods