Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2003 14:22:00
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:05:37PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Why do you think it is bad practice to mix add-on packages into the
> "system" hierarchies?  What justification do you have for making the
> life of your users more difficult (as you seem to agree this will do)?

I've had troubles in the past with stuff from pkgsrc clobbering base
system files (texinfo and ncurses come immediately to mind) which make
it tougher to update the base system, as well as build issues (glimpse
and spice) which are pain in the asses.

> How does installing a package in a system hierarchy make it more
> difficult to upgrade your system?

I install base system
I install ncurses from pkgsrc with LOCALBASE=/usr
I upgrade base system via existing blessed method (drop a tarball from
  the root directory).

how would your LOCALBASE=/usr system handle this situation?

do you have a pkg-ized base system too?

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie