Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 20:09:18
Greg A. Woods said:

>I still can't figure out what you might mean by "trust" in this context.

You want to upgrade pkg A.

While upgrading pkg A, pkgsrc wants to upgrade some libraries.

In order to upgrade those libraries, it first removes all the other packages
that depend on those libraries. (pkg B, C, D, E, etc)

After upgrading the libraries and pkg A, it then rebuilds some of the other
packages that it removed in a somewhat random way and skips others. Something
like pkg B, D, F, L, P...

No error messages. You find out over time which commands and binaries you
have lost.

I've seen this with 1.4, 1.5, and various versions of -current.

>especially not when you say such a strange thing.....

Disappearing software is strange. The pkgsrc system is good at making
software disappear during upgrades.

It has become far easier for me to build thirdparty software myself. The
pkgsrc system makes a lot of strange assumptions.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com