Subject: Re: df(1) on unmounted device works improperly
To: Greywolf <>
From: Johnny Billquist <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 10:44:36
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Greywolf wrote:

> Hey, all,
> with -current kernel and userland as of a week ago (and, it seems, as
> far back as 1.6M, if not farther), df(1) does The Wrong Thing.

I'd say it does the right thing. I didn't know it ever could take a device
as an argument and treat that specially, nor does the documentation
support that. df takes a file or a file system as an argument. Device
names are just special files. File systems are mount points as I read it.

It behaves exactly as I would expect it to.

I'd say you are looking at a change request. But I might be totally
confused of course.

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email:           ||  Reading murder books