Subject: Re: JFS for NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 12:29:04
Quoting Greg 'groggy' Lehey (grog@lemis.com):
> On Sunday, 16 March 2003 at 18:52:30 +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 12:50:13PM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> >> JFS seems to be appearing in FreeBSD-bleeding edge.
> >
> > There was a recent /. posting on "JFS available for FreeBSD", but
> > that title was far too optimistic; some people had ported the
> > *userspace* tools only. Which isn't very useful without actual
> > kernel code.
> >
> > Judging by the reactions from some people in-the-know, it won't
> > be appearing in FreeBSD anytime soon.
>
> Correct.  The whole JFS4BSD effort was more an experiment than
> anything serious.  It's not clear why anybody would want it, either.

It would be nice to have alternatives, just for the sake of.
All in all, I'd rather have efforts go to UFS2, but it would
be awefully nice to be able to read and write some linux
FS that wasn't ext2.  (or get linux to speak UFS - I want my
mp3's available no matter what OS I boot into on my dev machine:)