Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 08:19:00
At 3:10 PM -0500 3/16/03, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>[ On Sunday, March 16, 2003 at 14:38:35 (-0500), Michael G. Schabert wrote: ]
>>  Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>>
>>  This is somewhat putting the cart before the horse except in special
>>  circumstances*. There are basically two camps in this proposal.
>
>In the current implementation there's only one "camp" -- the one that's
>been defined and which works with the most current scripts.

And that is the beauty of NetBSD being a living project as you were
describing in your last post.

>  > 1) anything in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ should be copied to /etc/rc.d/
>
>And that's it in a nutshell...  ;-)

If there was full consensus that this was "best current practices"
then this thread wouldn't exist :P.

I'm certainly not going to lose sleep if it is decided that this
setup will never change. It doesn't affect me all that much in that I
only have a few packages that I have starting at boot. I just don't
think that it is at the level of refinement that I have come to
expect of NetBSD.

Just my thoughts,
Mike
--