Subject: Re: mozilla on alpha
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 07:07:55
Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com> writes:

> Now this is weird.
>
> I've been having problems with mozilla on alpha since the sa-merge a while
> ago. Problems include mozilla just dying, silently or with SIGSEV.
>
> So I decided to change "disable-debug" to "enable-debug" in the pkgsrc
> Makefile. After the build process ate a few gigs of diskspace I now have
> a quite verbose installation of mozilla.

[various unreliable mozilla lossage modes]

> So, what's the easiest way for me to get mozilla with a full symbol
> table (-g) that I could even try to make sense of this mess with gdb?

You need to run "make install" in www/mozilla in such a way that
moz-install doesn't run install with the -s flag. I believe "make
DEBUG_FLAGS=1 install" will do it (see the DEBUG_FLAGS and
_STRIPFLAG_INSTALL uses in pkgsrc/mk/defs.NetBSD.mk).

I've seen about the same grade of problems you're reporting here, and
I haven't made a lot of headway in figuring out what's wrong. Most
annoyingly, my debug build crashes just as often but seems to just
quit rather than dumping core more frequently than the non-debug
build.

        - Nathan