Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: kpneal@pobox.com, Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2003 05:14:22
At 12:23 AM -0500 3/16/03, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 03:01:35PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
>>  Should /etc/rc.conf by default contain the line:
>>
>>  . /usr/pkg/etc/rc.conf
>>
>>  at its end?
>>
>>  This would roughly complete the root-pkg split.
>
>Is /usr mounted when this would happen?

Moot. If /usr is not mounted, then /usr/pkg/bin is unavailable, so it
wouldn't matter if /usr/pkg/etc isn't there. In other words, if we
did things as they have been suggested (moving the scripts to
/etc/rc.d and using /etc/rc.conf), and /usr were unmounted when rc
was running, no packages would be started since the binaries aren't
there. The scripts are only as good as the binaries that they're
calling.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.