Subject: Re: rtk0: transmit underrun
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/2003 11:20:46
--ooOGvs6sIKjzhHAI

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:40:25PM +0900, Toru TAKAMIZU wrote:
> Seemingly the files are src/sys/dev/ic/rtl*. But I'd not like to
> change them locally. If the change(s) is reasonable, I hope it will be
> the default.

Well. This particular message is just reporting. It shouldn't imply
that you're losing packets; it's just saying that more memory had to
be allocated to handle the load. Jason will correct me if I'm wrong,
but I'm pretty sure this number only goes *up*, so once your
system's seen regular activity for a few days, you should stop
getting the noise.

> I cannot decide whether this is the reason or not because
> every time I send or receive date via rtk, this message appears.

Really? Forever? Always increasing?

There really ought to be a point after which it doesn't grow any
more...

> > > What is worse, when I tried "-r" and "-w" in order to lower the size,
> > > random errors occured, e.g. patch didn't work.
> > That's evil. But it smells like an NFS problem, not a NIC one.
> > What specific arguments are you giving to -{r,w}?
> 1024 to both.

In what way did patch not work?

Are you sure your clocks are reasonably synchronized between NFS
server and client?

What other options are you giving to mount_nfs? (noatime, etc.)

> I know that I can get high performance NICs such as ex, fxp at
> under $12 using net auctions (in Japan), but I want a NIC that
> works on MacOS 8 as well. Having multiple NICs is a good idea, but
> I have to buy another HUB.

I've had pretty good experience with both of those chipsets, and I
use an ex (and an ep) in a PowerMac 6500 right now. But I don't ever
use Mac OS, so I don't know how they behave there.

(I've lost the thread here... couldn't you just use the built-in
Ethernet chip under Mac OS? Or must it be 100BaseTX?)

As for hubs... you should be able to get a 10/100 for less than a
new ethernet card, and a switch for about the same as one. Not
hardware I'd let near production at work, but it works just fine.

> Anyway, thank you for your comments and suggestion.

No problem.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net