Subject: Re: Prism hostap mode question...
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2003 09:02:17
In message <200303121125.MAA0000320530@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>, Matthias Dro
chner writes:

>kind of me-too:
>
>dyoung@pobox.com said:
>> You are using firmware 1.4.2 on the AP, aren't you? 1.4.2 broke
>> HostAP. 1.4.9 fixes it.
>
>I've got a
>wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0: Cabletron, RoamAbout 802.11 DS, Version 01.01
>wi0: 802.11 address 00:e0:63:50:29:ab
>wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
>wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (6.0.1)
>wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
>
>This is obviously a completely different version number space -- is there
>any hope to get that thing into hostap mode?
>(or a compatible ad-hoc mode, as last resort)

I've used IBSS mode.  Here's what I posted six months ago:

Date:    Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:19:54 EDT
To:      Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
cc:      NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>

From:    "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com>
Subject: Re: NetBSD<->wlan<->win95?

     ***to netbsd-users-owner-smb=research.att.com@netbsd.org using -f
Sender:  netbsd-users-owner@netbsd.org
         version=2.31

In message <20021017133237.GA13989@pyy.jmp.fi>, Jukka Marin writes:
>Dear List,
>
>I tried to get a win95 laptop talking to NetBSD 1.6 using Lucent
>Orinoco WLAN cards.  Neither system can see the other.  I tried
>with and without encryption.  NetBSD was in adhoc mode and win95
>in peer-to-peer mode (I assume this is the correct mode?).
>
>Two NetBSD systems can talk to each other, but the windoze box
>can't see the network at all.
>
>Should this work or is it impossible with the current wi driver?

That's not the way to do it.  You could put them both in ad hoc mode,
or you can easily turn the NetBSD machine into a quasi-base station
with the '-q networkname -c 1' options to wiconfig.  The latter starts
up IBSS mode.

You need new-enough firmware on the NetBSD system's card.  See
http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html for more
information.