Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2003 20:24:50
"Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> writes:

> How can you logically assume that something which needs configuration
> can "just work" when you install it in your particular environment?

I don't think anyone is assuming that.  What's being assumed is that
you can install a software package from pkg_src, configure it, and add
"mumble=YES" to /etc/rc.conf -- and expect it to start at the next
reboot.  This matches what you do with a number of packages that are
included in the base system.  Adding a requirement to copy the startup
script from its installed location in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ to /etc/rc.d/
seems like it ought to be unnecessary.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901