Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2003 14:18:23
[ On Saturday, March 8, 2003 at 23:12:40 (-0600), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> In message <m18rt7b-000B3UC@proven.weird.com>, "Greg A. Woods" writes:
> >(hopefully you don't expect add-on things which have start-up scripts to
> >just magically work without some local configuration!  ;-)
>
> Well, isn't that the point of pkgsrc?  It "just works"?

How can you logically assume that something which needs configuration
can "just work" when you install it in your particular environment?

We're not talking here about porting software so that it "just works" in
a target host environment, but rather configuring software so that it
works _correctly_ in a target site environment.

As has been debated endlessly both on NetBSD lists and in other forums
for as long as I can remember (i.e. right back to 1984 or before! :-),
there has _never_ been any consensus as to whether installing something
which requires boot-time procedures should automatically also install
whatever is necessary to cause those procedures to be triggered on the
next reboot (i.e. to configure the "thing" so that it is enabled on the
next reboot).

--
								Greg A. Woods