Subject: Re: Help me defend NetBSD's honor!
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2003 10:54:43
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> So, I've gotten myself what is either a wonderful contract or an awful one.
> Three people have tried and failed to achieve this.
>
> The subject of our discussion is a Soekris systems box - an N4521.  AMD sc520
> single-chip processor, some memory, two cardbus slots and a CF slot, one
> serial port, two ethernets.

FYI, there are numerous people running NetBSD on the Soekris.

> 1.  Is there a sane way to make NetBSD run *totally* headless - no
> console device?

Yes. I'm not sure if we have an explicit option for it, but it is
trivial to dummy things up so that at boot time all the console
functions end up pointing at stubs that do nothing. Perhaps we should
create an explicit DUMMY_CONSOLE compile option or device or some
such, but it is really easy to do.

> 2.  I seem to recall people doing read-only boot filesystems; is this as
> easy as I'd guess it would be (union mount an mfs filesystem over / early
> in the boot)?

Why do you even need the union mount?

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com