Subject: Re: Help me defend NetBSD's honor!
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2003 13:19:39
On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:01:10AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20030309105228.GA8205@beverly.kleinbus.org>, Ignatios Souvatzis wri
> tes:
> >I suggest a workaround: the Soekris 4501 (I assume also the 4521, I think it's
> >built around the same CPU) should have two serial ports - so configure your
> >kernel to use the other serial port as kernel console.
>
> >You still should make sure to not enable nasty things in the BIOS, of course
> >(e.g. - whatwasit - ctrl-p to break out of automatic boot).
>
> Unfortunately, the 4521 only has one physical serial port.

One _connector_. The chip still has two, hasn't it? Just configure your
console to use the dead serial, and it is as dead as you'll ever need...

Thats what the kernel on my 4501 sees:

com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo

make it use com1 as console (options COMCONSOLE=somethingorother, see
options(4)) and you'll probably be fine.

Regards,
	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/