Subject: Re: libpthread busted?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2003 09:06:18
On 04 Mar 2003 11:59:24 -0500 "Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
wrote:

> George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:
>
> > so if somebody can help make the pkgsrc/devel/glib/ re-build link static
> > to pthread, I'd hope a lot of userland apps will suddenly stop having this
> > assertion failure.
>
> So, there's clearly a problem here, but why do you think static
> vs. dynamic linking has anything to do with it?
>
>         - Nathan

Because so many assertions were made in the thread on this topic, by wiser
heads than mine, that dynamic linking to libpthread.so was known to be broken.

But you are right. I over-theorized, and lack knowledge. What can be observed
is that removing a reference to libpthread.so in libgthread.so appears to have
stopped some class of programs (in particular GNU configure tests for glibc)
from dumping core

(noting that subsequent mail sends fixes, this thread should die!)

-George