Subject: Re: rtk0: transmit underrun
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Toru TAKAMIZU <ttaka@earth.email.ne.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2003 13:40:25
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:16:25AM -0500,
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:03:20PM +0900, Toru TAKAMIZU wrote:
> > Below is the dmesg of NFS client (macppc/1.6.1_RC2). The server is an i386.
> > I mounted "pkgsrc" and compiled shells/zsh. I tried some combinations
> > of "-2" and "-T", but the results were the same.
>
> I see transmit underrun erros all the time on my sf card. They don't
> seem to impact my performance. But the rtk chipset sucks compared to
> the sf, so you may want to explicitly set it higher (probably means
> maintaining local changes to a few things under src/sys/dev/pci/if_*).

Seemingly the files are src/sys/dev/ic/rtl*. But I'd not like to
change them locally. If the change(s) is reasonable, I hope it will be
the default.

> Are you actually seeing performance problems because of it?

I cannot decide whether this is the reason or not because
every time I send or receive date via rtk, this message appears.

> If you just don't want the log messages around, you can tell the
> driver to be less noisy (again, local changes).

I see.

> > What is worse, when I tried "-r" and "-w" in order to lower the size,
> > random errors occured, e.g. patch didn't work.
>
> That's evil. But it smells like an NFS problem, not a NIC one.
>
> What specific arguments are you giving to -{r,w}?

1024 to both.

> > Any suggestions except for replacing the NIC?
> > (This machine is mainly for MacOS.)
>
> I'd recommend replacing the NIC just on the horrid experience I've
> had with the RealTek chipset. But that's a somewhat orthogonal
> issue.

I know that I can get high performance NICs such as ex, fxp at
under $12 using net auctions (in Japan), but I want a NIC that
works on MacOS 8 as well. Having multiple NICs is a good idea, but
I have to buy another HUB.

Anyway, thank you for your comments and suggestion.

Best,
toru