Subject: Re: rtk0: transmit underrun
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2003 10:16:25
--8TaQrIeukR7mmbKf

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:03:20PM +0900, Toru TAKAMIZU wrote:
> Below is the dmesg of NFS client (macppc/1.6.1_RC2). The server is an i38=
6.
> I mounted "pkgsrc" and compiled shells/zsh. I tried some combinations
> of "-2" and "-T", but the results were the same.

I see transmit underrun erros all the time on my sf card. They don't
seem to impact my performance. But the rtk chipset sucks compared to
the sf, so you may want to explicitly set it higher (probably means
maintaining local changes to a few things under src/sys/dev/pci/if_*).

Are you actually seeing performance problems because of it?

If you just don't want the log messages around, you can tell the
driver to be less noisy (again, local changes).

> What is worse, when I tried "-r" and "-w" in order to lower the size,
> random errors occured, e.g. patch didn't work.

That's evil. But it smells like an NFS problem, not a NIC one.

What specific arguments are you giving to -{r,w}?

> Any suggestions except for replacing the NIC?
> (This machine is mainly for MacOS.)

I'd recommend replacing the NIC just on the horrid experience I've
had with the RealTek chipset. But that's a somewhat orthogonal
issue.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net