Subject: Re: pkgsrc/$pkg/work/.install_done considered harmful?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2003 05:53:04
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> I build on a machine that's kept upto date and has
> all the include files and libraries.
>
> I mount /usr/pkgsrc/ on another machine that's NOT the build
> machine.  I remove the .install_done and run "make"

That's exactly what "make reinstall" does. I even have a couple of
"extensions" in my own "/etc/mk.conf" that you might find useful:

.if !target(reconfigure)
reconfigure reconfig:
        ${RM} -f ${CONFIGURE_COOKIE} && \
        ${MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} configure
.endif

.if !target(rebuild)
rebuild:
        ${RM} -f ${BUILD_COOKIE} && \
        ${MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} build
.endif

> Sometimes the build system is not the system running the install.
>
> While we're here, it would be neat if the work/ directory
> were architecture noted:  work-sparc/  !=  work-i386 and
> it'd be neat to have one tree.

Besides the other fine suggestions, you could set $OBJMACHINE, so the
work directories are named work.i386, work.sparc and so on. All this,
and more, is doc'd in pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk.

Frederick