Subject: Re: Dynamic libpthread?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2003 01:50:51
In message <3E606364.5070106@nwlink.com>, David Hopper writes:
>The killer is when libpthread is bumped, pkgsrc-linked code must be updated
>manually, in multiple dependency trees (for a large set of installed
>packages).  You gotta just guess what links to pthread now.  This was a bit
>more manageable with devel/pth, as you could walk away from a 'make update'
>and know you'd be coming back to new code.

Will this be a problem more than once?  I bump libc all the time, and
everyone's fine because they just use the old libc they were built for.

I think this only comes up because of recent changes that allow libpthread
to interact with libc in spooky ways.  If these are standardized, then it
shouldn't be such a big deal, right?

>At present, it sure makes it *tough* to debug Alpha userland; as by the time I
>start to get meaningful debug data on e.g. mozilla-- pthread has a slough of
>new code in it, which can affect any one of a number of its dependencies.

Yeah, I was just noticing how complicated this will be to debug.

-s