Subject: Re: libpthread busted?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2003 19:14:42
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:

> If that's not a typo, that's a problem. With -current pthreads, you can
> ONLY use -current pthreads. You can't mix different thread libraries
> together.

You can't mix them in one program; you can have both on the
system. The difficulties are more to do with pkgsrc picking the wrong
one or having some packages that use one being linked into packages
that use the other.

> What MIGHT be happening is that a program's using pth, not NetBSD's
> libpthread. That will be a problem as we have expectations of what
> -lpthread does (overrides some weak symbols in libc) that the pth package
> mightn't be doing.

I don't think this is the issue here. The native libpthread is cozy
with libc and sets some libc state, but a non-integrated pthread
library like pth shouldn't set any of them (notably the __isthreaded
flag that causes the mutex stubs to trip the assertion seen here).

        - Nathan