Subject: Re: libpthread busted?
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Peter Seebach <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2003 18:10:49
In message <>
, Bill Studenmund writes:
>The reason Jason thinks it doesn't work is that you've bound to a libc
>mutex operation, which only happens if NetBSD's libpthread isn't around at
>dynamic link time.

Okay.  I'm not sure how I'd... ldd!

         -lm.0 => /usr/lib/
         -lm.0 => /usr/lib/
         -lcrypt.0 => /usr/lib/
         -lc.12 => /usr/lib/

>> crash seems to happen *before* the pth stuff gets involved, although I can't
>> be sure.

>"pth" stuff???

Probably not.

>If that's not a typo, that's a problem. With -current pthreads, you can
>ONLY use -current pthreads. You can't mix different thread libraries

Or I could just be easily confused; I vaguely recall pthreads and "pth" being

Oh!  I have several packages which claim they "need" pth.  So, let me guess, I
should delete *those*, too, and nuke the pth package?

>What MIGHT be happening is that a program's using pth, not NetBSD's
>libpthread. That will be a problem as we have expectations of what
>-lpthread does (overrides some weak symbols in libc) that the pth package
>mightn't be doing.

Oh-ho!  Perfect, logical, explanation.  I will try that.