Subject: fsck parallelism
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mihai CHELARU <kefren@netbastards.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/26/2003 11:29:37
Hello,

Quoting from fstab man page:
"The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to=20
determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. =20
The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and=20
other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a=20
drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives=20
will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in=20
the hardware."

# grep 2$ /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,softdep 1 2
/dev/wd1e /mnt ffs rw,softdep 1 2

Reading the man page I would expect a parallel filesystem checking of=20
wd0e and wd1e after a crash but this is not happening. Am I just wrong=20
or something else is happening ?

Regards,
Mihai