Subject: Re: HEADS-UP: top down vm available for use on i386 platform, for
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 21:22:48
atatat@atatdot.net said:
> [...]
> (2) as the exec completes and the new process gets its arguments
> copied into the top of it's stack, a fault is incurred, which gets
> resolved by a 16 slot amap (see UVM_AMAP_CHUNK in uvm/uvm_amap.h)
> being attached to a small map entry that gets carved off the "soft"
> chunk.
> [...]

Since you are the author of the "pmap" utility by some coincidence:-)

It would be great if "pmap" could show which pages of a map entry
are backed by anons. Currently it only shows (with -d) whether an
amap got allocated at all.
(would have saved me a lot of digging with gdb when I was PICifying
some assembler code recently)

best regards
Matthias