Subject: Re: Enabling Native Pthreads
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 19:53:40
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:

>>And if I'm not mistaken, you have to rebuild any packages that used the
>>old thread library.
>
> well...only if you want them to use the new threads.  ;-)

"All or nothing" is probably a pretty safe way to go, though, since
you'll get real fun problems once you start linking a pthreads-using
application (post userland upgrade) with a pkgsrc-built library from
before the upgrade, so the resulting application is confused about
what pthreads package to use.  :-)

As has been mentioned, you can't use native pthreads and SMP, and
there are still some other problems.  For instance, while Mozilla
works great for me, xmms doesn't: it hangs after a little while, and
sometimes crashes my entire system.  (This on i386.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901