Subject: Re: headless i386 not booting
To: Staffan =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thom=E9n?= <duck@multi.fi>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 10:33:18
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:15:14 +0200
Staffan Thom=E9n <duck@multi.fi> wrote:

>  Hi,
>   I've been trying to put an old i386 to gateway for my upcoming dsl,=20
>   and it has to run headless and without a gfx board. However; when
>   I boot it with a gfx board, it runs just fine, but without it, it
>   fails to come up far enough that it would answer ping. I can hear
>   it load the kernel from the floppy, and the zip drive (which is root)
>   spins up. (Don't ask, I've only spare parts to work with :-)
>=20
>   So now, is this something connected to wscons perhaps? What else
>   could make it not boot when without a gfx board?
>   Would I need options SERCONSOLE?
>=20

Leave the video card in. For a pc, I'm almost certain that you must have
a video card to boot. You don't have to attach a monitor to it. Then use
installboot to install alternate boot blocks on your root fs. e.g.=20

cd /usr/mdec; ./installboot biosboot_com0.sym

will let you boot with a serial console on your first serial port. There
are numerous posts in the list archives if you need more information.

--=20
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing