Subject: Re: build.sh feature request
To: Sporleder, Matthew (CCI-Atlanta) <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 17:42:59
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:20:26 -0500
"Sporleder, Matthew (CCI-Atlanta)" <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com> wrote:

> The only problem with that is that you have to reinstall the entire system package.
> I know it really isn't huge, but it's definitely larger than just being able to update
> a few programs.  On a very distributed system, small updates could really be a lifesaver.
>
> And do you really feel safe reinstalling base.tgz on your production boxes
> whenver a security advisory comes out?  ;)

Who said base.tgz?  syspkg splits up those big tgz's in pkg's that can be
handled with pkg_{add,delete,*} tools. And those packages are *small*.
Say for example, one for bind, one for sendmail, one for postfix, one for
libc, etc. The same goes for all other "traditional" sets: comp.tgz, man.tgz,
etc.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>