Subject: Re: Encrypted filesystem on NetBSD
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2003 03:45:34
Daniel Carosone wrote:

>Another feature that would be useful us a fstab-like "noauto" flag.
>
>I have some cgd's with particular data that i only want to use at
>specific times, presently I have to type the full cgdconfig command
>line for them, and remember which partition they're on.

Yes, that would be basically free if you have a tag.  So, the file
would become something like:

cgd0	/dev/wd0e	critlocal	/etc/cgd/wd0e
cgd1	/dev/wd1e	critremote	/etc/cgd/wd1e
cgd2	/dev/sd0f	all		/etc/cgd/sd0f

and the cgdconfig command would do something like

	# cgdconfig -C critlocal

I'm not sure if the problem warrants globbing or regex support, probably
not.  Anyway, from there you could make /etc/rc.d/cgdcritlocal which
would call cgdconfig -C critlocal and PROVIDE: localdisks which would
be REQUIRED: by /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal.  Same for the other mentioned
tags.

This would allow for reasonable behaviour in the case that you mentioned,
you'd just use a tag that the rc.d system doesn't use.  This would also
provide for cgd's which get their keys from the network and would then
belong in critremote or all rather than critlocal.

I'll think about this one a bit before I do it, though, because since it
will cause a little bit of a flag day anyway I may as well see if there's
anything else that should be slipped in.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/