Subject: HEADS-UP: Experimental SMBFS support
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2003 22:35:24
Hi,

SMBFS support in -current is now in somewhat useable state. If you
are feeling brave, try out if it works for you.  I'd be grateful
for any reports - so far I have it only tested on local network
against Samba server using NetBSD/i386 machines. If you are going
to experiment with it, you might want to update to Samba 2.2.7anb1
from pkgsrc - nb1 contains a fix for one minor problem I encountered
while testing this. Only i386 currently

Basic operations on SMBFS seem to be working fine (read, write,
create, mount, unmount), but it would be necessary to stress it
more to be certain everything works fine. There is currently no
support for different character encodings, i.e. -E option doesn't
actually work at this moment.

To try this, you need:
1. up-to-date kernel - the latest committed change was
   rev 1.4 of src/sys/fs/smbfs/smbfs_node.h, if you get that version,
   your other files should be up-to-date too
1a. enable file-system SMBFS and pseudo-device nsmb in your kernel
   config - see i386 GENERIC rev. 1.547 - rebuild and reboot
2. mount_smbfs - update src/dist/smbfs, src/sbin/mount_smbfs, and
   build mount_smbfs
3. dev nodes - either get src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV rev. 1.191,
   or create necessary nodes by (i386):
	mknod c /dev/nsmb0 98 0
	mknod c /dev/nsmb1 98 1
	mknod c /dev/nsmb2 98 2
	mknod c /dev/nsmb3 98 3

Example mount:

mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.1 //USERNAME@SERVER/SHARENAME /mnt

If you encounter any problems, please send-pr them so that it can
be fixed.

Enjoy,

Jaromir Dolecek
--