Subject: Re: USB devices spontaneously powering off?
To: None <>
From: Brad Spencer <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2003 11:14:57
   In message <>, Andrew Brown writes:
   >not that my mouse has any lights on it or anything, but i have
   >sometimes noticed that my usb mouse all of a sudden seems not to be
   >responding.  unplugging it (which, iirc, usually generates the
   >expected cascade of disconnect messages from the kernel) and
   >replugging it usually "wake it up".

   Curious.  The two devices I have which do this are both curiously made by the
   same company - but they're very different devices.  Both used to work just

   uhidev0 at uhub3 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0
   uhidev0: P.I. Engineering Xkeys Programmable Keyboard, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 3/1

   The other is a "P.I. Engineering" USB<->PS/2 adapter with mouse and keyboard
   functionality - and, strangest of all, it's the keyboard part that generally
   stops working.

   All in all, I have a fair variety of weird and quirky USB behavior these
   days.  I am vaguely suspecting that it may involve my laptop's power
   management features, although some of it happens on other devices as well.

I also get "dead" mouse behavior with my USB mouse.  I have noticed that
it is much worse when the Wavelan card is receiving and sending packets.

Brad Spencer - -- KC8VKS  - & - [IPv6 only]
[finger for PGP public key]