Subject: Re: problems trying to build today's -current
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2003 19:50:10
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Yes, I agree that build.sh "should" do that for you, but it doesn't.
> > This could be fixed by enhancing the framework to touch various
> > marker files at various points, and to compare timestamps of the
> > marker files at various other points.
>
> I wouldn't like that. Usually, you need to update the tools a maximum
> of one time after updating the sources, and then you build different
> kernels, sets, etc. with the same tools. Only the user knows if he
> just updated all his sources, or if he just tweaked his kernel config.

The idea is that build.sh and the marker files would also know that,
partly by the user telling them explicitly, and partly by the magic of
timestamp comparisons.  This idea is only half baked, but something
similar works well enough in pkgsrc, with all the marker files like
".extract_done", ".configure_done", ".build_done".

--apb (Alan Barrett)