Subject: New gnats category ??
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2003 21:54:18
I'm having trouble working out where to send bug reports in that
part of NetBSD that builds new releases.

I don't mean the toolchain (compilers, linkers, ...) but the
lists of files that should go in each set, the scripts that
make the releases, etc.

I have in recent days (one just minutes ago) filed a couple of PR's
in the "misc" category - but I kind of suspect that "misc" really
means "no-one bothers to look here as they can't really be relevant to
anything".

A "distribution" (or dist or distrib or similar) category, for filing
PR's which affect the way that NetBSD builds distributions seems like it
would be a good idea to me.    The distribution system is a quite distinct
thing from the install system (which uses the distributions after they're
built), also distinct from the sources themselves (which build the things
being installed, eventually) and the toolchain.   It is largely Makefiles,
scripts, and lists of "stuff" ...

I'm also not sure which list to send this particular type of request to
either - I'd send this as a PR with a change request, if I could find a
category that covered the gnats/PR system itself (can't find one of those
either, and once again, "misc" really doesn't seem to fit).

kre