Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2003 15:09:09
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 13:04, Ian Fry wrote:
>> How about adjusting the read and write-size used by the NetBSD machine? I
>> think the default is 32k for both read and write on i386 machines now.
>> Perhaps try setting them back to 8k (it's the -r and -w flags to mount_nfs,
>> IIRC)

> Hey!  That did it.

Hot diggety!

> So, why does this fix it?

I think now you file a bug report with the NetBSD kernel folk.  My
thoughts are running in the direction of a bug having to do with
scattering a 32K read into multiple kernel disk-cache buffers or
gathering together multiple cache buffer contents to form a 32K write.
Unless NetBSD has changed from its heritage, the kernel disk cache
buffers are 8K, and so an 8K NFS read or write would never cross a
cache buffer boundary.  But 32K would.

Or it could be a similar bug on the NFS server's side?

			regards, tom lane