Subject: Postfix Ignoring resolv.conf
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2003 19:36:35
For some reason, just today, postfix on my current-as-of-late-November
system has gone weird as far as name lookups. I've not done any upgrades
recently, and I can't think of any config file changes that would have
been relevant.

Basically, despite the fact that /etc/resolv.conf and
/var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf have another server's IP address
as the only nameserver line, postfix, when it tries to resolve DNS
names, is sending the request over the loopback to 127.0.0.1 instead of
over the network to the "real" nameserver on this network. It's only
postfix doing this, not ping or nc or telnet. This started this morning,
after I shut down my dialup connection at home (where I do use a local
nameserver) and brought up my system at the office (where I still start
named, but put the local office nameserver in resolv.conf as my named
can't get through the firewall--and I've since shut down my named
anyway).

I've been through a lot of restarts of postfix, as well as a reboot of
the entire system, and the problem persists.

Can anybody think of any reason why this would be happening?

cjs