Subject: Re: -current kernel config problem
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2003 18:26:22
At 17:00 Uhr +0000 1.2.2003, David Laight wrote:
>> Off to a "cvs update && /usr/src/build.sh {this_week's_options}"...
>
>You should be able to build 'config' in the sys/usr.bin/config
>and ensure (my fair or foul means) that that copy is used for
>kernel builds.

I should be. Maybe next time.

>OTOH surely you could cross build?

On an ss10, yes. Twice as fast, maybe. A little more, when smp kernels will
cease to lock up on the nightly Amanda run.

I took an oath not to touch wintel hardware, but for money.  ;)

On the other hand: What's the point in a port that can (for practical
purposes) not be self-hosted? As cool as crossbuilds are for releng, IMO we
must not get to the point where self-hosting is impossible.

And that's not the only point where NetBSD is approaching a border - watch
a Macintosh IIcx crawl through the pile of shell scripts that is /etc/rc.d
to multi-user. Linking /[s]bin doesn't exactly help here, either.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email