Subject: Re: comparing raid-like filesystems
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2003 09:23:19
Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> One of the things on my tuit queue is to port Vinum to NetBSD

I don't think anyone is really interested in Vinum on NetBSD
(obviously, I might be wrong ;)
RF has proven very reliable and fast enough, and I don't think
it's particularily useful to introduce different heavy-weight
software RAID implementation, with Vinum-unique set of issues.

OTOH, I've never seen any benchmark comparing RF and Vinum.
It would be interesting to compare their performance on same
hardware.

Well, I'm not the one to implement software RAID (at least don't
have any immediate plans to ;). But I personally would only consider
something different to RF if it's clearly much better designed and
implemented. Whether Vinum would qualify as such I don't know.

I'm very happy RF user. Obviously I'm not going to switch
to anything else unless it's clearly superiour. Which Vinum
is not, AFAIK.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/