Subject: Re: Cross-building on FreeBSD 4.x
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2003 18:58:48
> > . build.sh build - works but when postinstall checks are run PR 20061
> >   manifests, though it's harmless.  it's arguable that when building
> >   into DESTDIR != / postinstall checks should not be run anyway.
>
>Of course they *SHOULD* be.  I build.sh into diskless root arenas all
>the time.

bzzt.  there's a piece of code in /etc/postinstall that looks like
this:

rcconf_is_set()
{
		for f in \
		    ${DEST_DIR}/etc/rc.conf \
		    ${DEST_DIR}/etc/rc.conf.d/${_rcis_name}; do
		done
}

and if you load ${DEST_DIR}/etc/rc.conf, that'll load your real
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, which means you can get spurious results.

i don't have a real "solution" to this problem other than to note that
/etc/postinstall is only really useful for the host machine.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."