Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2003 11:52:21
On Thursday 30 January 2003 16:20, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Yeah, I have enough fears running Databases on non-raw devices,
> let alone over a network - everything I want a databse for
> is compromised by having the data files on a network device.
> Speed (100base T gets you maybe 10MB/s throughput with nothing
> else there), NFS adds overhead, buffering (non device commits),
> locking issues and so forth.

Interesting.  I would sure like some other opinions on that.  The reason for
going with the NetApp is to use their snapmirror feature in order to copy a
live database at an instant in time.  Using something like rsync fails
sometimes because the database could change enough during the sync that it
can't recover enough to start.

> I know that we couldn't MMAP sleepycat DB files via NFS,
> even though we loved the products.  A NetApp guy argued it
> with me until I finally found the OTHER NetApp guy to
> edumucate him on that.

I am copying my NetApp contact (Bcc - he's an escalation engineer and I don't
want to publish his email address indiscrimately) and I am sure that he would
also like to talk this over with your contact.  Email me privately if you
don't want to publish his name either.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/