Subject: Re: NFS issues on NetBSD
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2003 12:29:12
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:18:53AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> A friend who uses FreeBSD tells me that there were problems in all the BSD NFS
> implementations but that FreeBSD mad a major push and fixed it.  I don't want
> to switch these servers to FreeBSD so I am hoping to find the problems and
> fix them in NetBSD.

A while ago, some problems were found (through Apple) in the NFS code,
a testprogram was floating around, and FreeBSD fixed the problems they
had. I ran the testprogram, noticed that NetBSD had one or two of
the same problems, and fixed them. The other problems reported on
FreeBSD were not present in our code, not that I could see and/or
reproduce. Your problem may not be related to these problems at all.

> Does anyone know of any specific problems with our implementation?  I know
> that I use NFS in many places without any problem but there seems to be an
> issue with super heavy NFS access.  Perhaps it has to do with the way it is
> accessed by PostgreSQL that differs from normal access.  I even use it on my
> ISP for all my user directories without ever a peep but this DB app always
> fails.

I'm not aware of any such problem; it's hard to tell what your problem
is. The error you see if a fairly high-level database error, you'll
need to uncover what actually goes wrong on a lower level.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD Development, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/