Subject: how to install -current?
To: None <>
From: Steve Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2003 16:49:35
OK -- I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Could someone let me know
what it is?

I want to upgrade to the latest -current.  (Well, maybe that's what's
wrong, but we'll ignore that...)  I have a nice, shiny new CVS tree.  I
know to use, so I built a new kernel via

	./ -k kernelname

(I have OBJDIR set to /usr/obj in /etc/mk.conf).

Given the problems sometimes reported in building -current, I prefer to
do my compilation while still running the old system, so that I can do
other things.

	./ -D /usr/netbsd

(Stand back, wait a while.)

Great; it built.  I reboot to single-user with the new kernel, and try
to install:

	./ -D /usr/netbsd -i /

It's recompiling the world...

I don't think that what I'm trying to do is that unreasonable.  In
fact, it strikes me as the obvious way to proceed.  Is there something
simple I'm missing?

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)