Subject: TV-out with the ATI Radeon 7500 (was Re: atitvout)
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Jared McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2003 04:19:48
On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 07:32  PM, MLH wrote:
> Thanks. let me know if you need anything.
>
> Once we get it working well, it should be trivial to package (as
> easy as it was to build).

Now that Sourceforge's anoncvs server is back up... I grabbed their
development branch of the ati.2 module:

   export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gatos
   cvs login		<-- press return at the password prompt
   cvs co -rdevel ati.2

Change to the ati.2 directory, run 'xmkmf /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc', then
make.

Compilation failed for me in radeon_driver.c -- I removed the reference
to info->agpSize on the offending line (it was simply a xf86DrvMsg call
IIRC), built the driver, and ran 'make install'.

I'm using the composite output on the Radeon 7500, and managed to get
the TV to sync at least at 800x600 -- good enough to play movies with
mplayer using the Xv driver. Make sure that 800x600 is the only mode
defined when you start X, otherwise things may go crazy when you start
switching modes on the fly.

Also, my monitor will no longer sync after shutting down X. I will need
to investigate this further.

Hope this works for you!

Cheers,
Jared