Subject: Re: Mozilla
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2003 22:22:26
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:48:32AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Eric Gillespie wrote:
>
> > Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp> writes:
> >
> > > I just remembered that I did run fc-cache and stopped it as the
> > > command lasts forever.  (In fact, not forever, but looked forever to
> > > me. :)
> >
> > It takes a *long* time to run, but let it; it will eventually
> > complete.  Why it takes so long, i do not know.  Why it needs the
> > cache at all when Xft1 didn't, i do not know.
> >
> > > How about executing fc-cache once at POST-INSTALL?
>
> 	Would it make sense to build it and include it in the package?

How do you know if mozilla was compiled with xft support in a binary
package?

And that doesn't fix anything for a non root user, because that fc-cache
creates the cachefile in the user $HOME.

As Christos said, better fix mozilla and not work around a problem
which could result in a long installation time because fc-cache takes
so long.

> 	That way you pay the cost at build time once, rather than every
> 	time someone installs a package.
>
> 	It would make the fonts build depend on fontconfig which is
> 	probably not too bad...

fontconfig needs also be modified, so it knows about xfree current and
the coming xfree release.

Bernd