Subject: Re: Whois was annoying me...
To: Chuck Yerkes <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2003 15:11:33
[ On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 01:07:04 (-0500), Chuck Yerkes wrote: ]
> Subject: Whois was annoying me...
> When I type "whois", whois queries the Internet and
> gives me really basic information.  No referral chasing.
> Quality I expect from Sun (keeping much of their userland the
> same as it was for SunOS 3, and shipping vi(1) from 1942).
> I pulled over whois from OpenBSD 3.2-current to start to make
> a patch.  But first I compiled it, on a whim.
> It compiled just fine.  Works right by chasing down referrals.

The version of whois in OpenBSD is a bad hack.  It doesn't chase down
referrals as far as I can see -- it just uses the first guess available
from the external service.

If you want a really decent full-featured and flexible whois client then
you want jwhois:  pkgsrc/net/jwhois.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>