Subject: Re: gtk+ being installed in /usr/X11R6 under current pkgsrc
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2003 11:39:42
[ On Thursday, January 16, 2003 at 20:14:42 (-0500), Eric Gillespie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: gtk+ being installed in /usr/X11R6 under current pkgsrc
>
> Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl> writes:
>
> > Really? This is from /usr/X11R6/bin, and I don't think many of these
> > programs used imake (apart from the base X system ones). Most of these
> > are Gnome or KDE apps, and neither of them uses imake, afaik.
> > I would really prefer all of this junk to be in /usr/pkg somewhere.
>
> They are there because pkgsrc forced them there.  They do not
> need to be there, nor do they install there by default.

Well, actually all packages using other X11 libraries or programs do
need to be installed in /usr/X11R6 if pkgsrc is to support the ability
to share the /usr/X11R6 hierarchy to other systems independently of
/usr/pkg.

Putting all X11-related files in /usr/X11R6 also helps to eliminate a
whole bunch of junk from a user's path when that user is not connecting
via an X11 server (i.e. when DISPLAY is not set).  This means a very
short and succinct answer can cut through a whole lot of confusion for
naïve users.  It also helps improve performance noticably for non X11
users (including system scripts).

--
								Greg A. Woods