Subject: Re: Mozilla
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <devsoren@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2003 17:24:21
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:58:12PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:
> Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp> writes:
>
> > I just remembered that I did run fc-cache and stopped it as the
> > command lasts forever.  (In fact, not forever, but looked forever to
> > me. :)
>
> It takes a *long* time to run, but let it; it will eventually
> complete.  Why it takes so long, i do not know.  Why it needs the
> cache at all when Xft1 didn't, i do not know.

Here's a not-so-technical answer, but one that sorta works anyway: it
takes so long because it's linked against the libfreetype provided by
XFree86. Try linking against freetype2 installed by pkgsrc, and its
speed increases _tremendously_. I don't know what the actual problem is,
but that is what I do to work around it. Also it finds more
directories/fonts in this situation. Once again, I have no idea why. I
meant to submit a pr about this. And I believe that Xft1 did cache, it
just was automatic. Or something. :)

> > How about executing fc-cache once at POST-INSTALL?

This sounds like a good idea. At least once this issue is resolved.

--
Soren Jacobsen