Subject: Re: gtk+ being installed in /usr/X11R6 under current pkgsrc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2003 15:05:27
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:04:22 -0500
Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org> wrote:

> Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com> writes:
>
> > I know the odds are about 99% that I've done something stupid, but as of
> > yesterday, building gtk+ from currently cvs'ed pkgsrc seems to have gtk+
> > installed under /usr/X11R6, instead of /usr/pkg.
>
> pkgsrc crams all packages that use X into /usr/X11R6 by default,
> regardless of whether the package actually needs to go there or
> even installs there by default.  I do not know why.
>
> You can work around this by installing pkgtools/xpkgwedge, whose
> express purpose is changing that default so that all packages are
> installed to LOCALBASE (/usr/pkg by default) instead.  I do not
> know why this is not the default.
>
> --

Thanks for your, and all the other, helpful replies. I'm not sure how I got
the false notion in my head that xpkgwedge was the default. Personally, I'd
prefer it if it were. I put all my packages on the own filesystem and like to
just newfs the whole thing from time to time.  But, I guess this way some
things are easier, e.g. compiling some of the "amateur hour","look, it build
fine on redhat" apps out there with minimal changes.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing